Improved access to essential medicines, vaccines and other health products in the ECOWAS region.
- Srengthen the capacities of pharmaceutical units in the region including the National Medicines Regulatory Authorities;
- Facilitate the integration of intellectual property flexibilities into national policies and legislation;
- Faciliate the development and implementation of policies for promoting innovation, research and development of pharmaceutical products;
- Improve access to quality medicines
- Supporting local pharmaceutical production;
- Strengthening the procurement and distribution chain;
- Building capacities for regulation and the regional harmonization process;
- Improving quality assurance systems;
- Strengthening strategies for controlling counterfeiting and the illicit trade in medicines and vaccines;
- Implementation of intellectual property rights on pharmaceutical products;
- Strengthening innovation, research and development of medicines, vaccines and other health products.
- Regional strategy of procurement in medicines and vaccines developed;
- Regional security stock of medicines, vaccines and other health products strengthened;
- Pharmaceutical raw materials exempted from all taxes;
- Capacities of quality control laboratories improved;
- Capacities of National Pharmaceutical Regulatory Authorities strengthened;
- Centre for research in bioequivalence and biopharmacy established;
- WAHO’s system for certification and pre-qualification established;
- A web site for better sharing of information on pharamceutical data developed;
- A harmonized regional strategy for pharmacovigilance developed;
- A situational analysis of counterfeiting and illicit trade in medicines, vaccines and other health products in the region conducted
A Regional GMP Roadmap Framework for the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Industry in ECOWAS
We are pleased to introduce the Regional GMP Roadmap Framework for the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Industry in ECOWAS.The document forms part of an ongoing collaboration between WAHO and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization(UNIDO) to develop a strategy for region - wide upgrading of the pharmaceutical industry across West Africa.Importantly, it sets out a framework utilising a risk-based phased approach for the upgrading of manufacturing sites that can be adapted for specific country contexts.
Note: To download the Roadmap, you will be required to agree to our disclaimer and submit your contact information.